Tomato RasamBy Vasanthi
Great when u have a bad cold. It is really easy to make and tastes great.
* 3 To 4 No. Tomatoes
* 1 Small Bunch Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped
* 2 No. Dried Red Chilly
* 1 Tsp Black Peppercorns
* 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
* 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
* 2 To 3 Cloves Garlic
* 1 Tsp Oil
1. Puree the tomatoes in a blender and keep aside. ( If you don’t have a blender
no worries , just cut the tomatoes to medium size )
2, Use a pestle and mortar and crush the cumin seeds to powder it. ( you could
use a mixie/blender , but the grinding with the pestle gives it a unique taste)
3. Similarly powder the pepper and then mash the garlic with a pestle.
4. Take some oil in a pan and heat
5. Once the oil is hot add the mustard seeds.When the mustard seeds start
spluttering add the red chilly , followed by the mashed garlic , powdered pepper
and cumin seeds.
6. Saute for 30 secs and then add the tomato puree ( or tomato pieces , in case
you have not pureed).
7. Once the puree starts boiling add salt and water as required to obtain
desired consistency. (I add about 1 cup water , as i like it thick.) and cook
for about 6-8 minutes.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves. Best served with rice.