Thiyr Vadai Or Curd Vada / MosarodeBy Chethana Gopal
This is a popular South Indian dish. Dahi vada or Dahi Bhalla are the North Indian version of this dish.
* 2 Cups Split Black Gram Dal Soaked For 3 To 4 Hrs.
* Oil For Deep Frying
To Prepare The Seasoned Curd Mixture
To Grind :
* 4 Tbsp Coconut
* 3 Green Chilli
* 1 Inch Ginger Piece
* 1/2 Tsp Whole Jeera
* 3 Tbsp Sugar
* Salt To Taste
For Tempering The Curd Mixture:
* 1 Tsp Oil
* 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
* 1/4 Tsp Hing Or Asafetida
* 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
This is a South Indian version of Dahi vada or Dahi Bhalla
- Grind the 2 cups split black gram dal soaked for 3 to 4 hrs, to a fine paste
adding little water in interval while grinding. The batter should be fluffy and
- Heat oil in a Kadai for deep frying and when oil is hot lower the flame and
drop small balls of the batter or you put a small portion of batter on a
polythene paper and shape it like vada and drop it to oil. But this needs
practice. Putting it like round balls is much easier. Wet your hand with water
while doing it. The batter will not stick to your hand. Fry on low flame till
golden brown in colour.when you fry on high flame the outer portion of vada gets
cooked faster and the inside will remain uncooked. Hence fry on low to medium
- Immerse the vada in hot water , remove after 5 seconds and immerse in thin
TO PREPARE THE SEASONED CURD MIXTURE
- Grind 4 tbsp coconut, 3 green chilli,1 inch ginger piece, 1/2 tsp whole
jeera, 3 tbsp sugar and Salt to taste to a fine paste. Mix with 1 lit thick
curd. Beat well so that there is no lump formed. This mixture should be smooth
For Tempering the curd mixture.
1 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp hing or asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
Prepare tempering . Cool for a while and add to the curd mixture.
ASSEMBLING THE CURD VADA
- In a small serving bowl place two vada. Pour 3 tbsp of thick curd mixture.
Sprinkle some grated carrot on the top and some boondi , little chopped
- This is best served as a snack.