Majjiga PulusuBy Havishma Bakshi
South Indian Majjiga Pulusu (Specially made in Andhra Pradesh)
For Main Dish:
* Sour Curd 500gms
* Tomatoes 2/3
* Ash Gourd 50 Gms
* Bottle Gourd 50 Gms
* Pumpkin 100gms
* Ladies Finger/Okra 50 Gms
* Carrot 2 Long
* Radish Half Piece (Optional)
* Water As Required
* Coconut 70 Gms
* Bengal Gram 2tbsp
* Green Chillies 6 8(As Per The Spice You Like)
* Black Pepper 1/2 Tbsp
* Cumin Seeds 3 Tbsp
* Coriander Seeds 1 1/4 Tbsp
* Ginger Quarter Inch
* Turmeric Powder Pinch Of It
* Red Chillies 2 To 3 (Split In Halves)
* Curry Leaves According To Seasoning
* Salt As Per Taste
* Mustard Seeds 1 Tbsp
* Cumin Seeds 1 Tbsp
* Asafoetida 1 Tbsp
* Fenugreek Seeds 1/4 Tbsp
* Oil 2 Tbsp
* Coriander 2 Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
* Soak Bengal Gram in water for 1 hour and keep in dark place.
* Cut all the vegetables (tomatoes, Ash Gourd, Bottle Gourd, Pumpkin, Carrot,
Radish, Ladies finger) into medium size cubes without peeling the skin.
* Boil all the vegetables separately in hot water until they are cooked 80% and
keep them aside.
* Chop the coconut into small pieces
* Collect portion of ash gourd seeds, bottle gourd seeds, green chilies, soaked
Bengal gram, ginger, black pepper, coriander seeds, cumin seeds.
* Mix some water and all the above ingredients and blend into smooth paste.
Recipe for Main dish:
1. Dilute the Sour Curd into little thinner volume if its too thick. (Use hand
blender to make the batter more consistent)
2. Take a deep pan and keep it on low flame, add the buttermilk
3. Immediately add all the boiled vegetables, thick paste.
4. Mix all the ingredients well and check for medium consistency.
5. Add water if required at this point.
6. Now add salt, pinch of Turmeric powder. Keep boiling all the ingredients.
7. When you see that the dish it boiled just taste a little to avoid any raw
smell from Bengal gram paste.
Now prepare the seasoning before taking it off from stove:
* Heat the 2 tbsp. of oil
* Add mustard seeds and let them all split and pop out
* Add Fenugreek seeds and don't let them burn else they give very bitter taste
to the dish.
* Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and red chilies.
* Sprinkle some good asafetida and you can already smell the wonderful aroma.
8. Add the seasoning to boiling Majjiga pulusu and mix well.
9. Now take it off from the heat and season with some coriander leaves.
10. Serve with hot rice and ghee. Dash with some Aloo fry or any authentic
dishes will complete the menu.